Dash and Console

Dash

Paul really likes to take everything apart, then, restore each tiny piece back to its original glory. In my minds eye I can hear a hint of Pavarotti floating from his shop, while Paul wears white gloves to protect the parts and sun glasses to protect his eyes from the finished shine! Imagine visiting “Paul the dentist” to get your teeth cleaned!

Before taking things apart, Paul takes pictures of how thngs were so that he can make sure everything is reconnected properly.

Behind the speedometer, the top gauge is fuel. The box on the left is the radio.
Similar view taken a little further back so you can see most of the cabling to the speedometer head.
This area is behind the left side of the dash wheres switches for headlights, dash dimmer, wiper, top up/down and the clock can be seen.

Radio and the bird's nest of wiring around it.
Heater controls hide under the radio.
The rear of the speedometer cable socket. Warning lights, upper left - right turn, lower left - brake warning, upper right - left turn, lower right oil pressure

Behind the ash tray hides the turn signal flasher.
Wider view showning the rear of the instrument cluster. Note the 4-way flasher hanging at the front.

On the left face of the instrument cluster the large rectangular cut-out is for an optional air conditioning vent.
This is a metric 1971 speedometer head. Fr some reason in 171 the ammeter and temperature gauge locations were reversed. Slight adjustments will need to be made in the wiring harness to accommodate this change.
My 1970 AM/FM radio died and rather than spending money on it, I decided to go modern. The new radio is a Pioneer DEHX6500-BT with Blue Tooth, USB and a CD. I’ll be able to use my iPhone hands free with voice controls and play music from CD, stick or even iTunes via the iPhone. It has a removable face plate and a hand held remote control.

A set of all the interior screws and a bag containing every bulb in the car except the head lamps. Saves a lot of running around looking for bulbs. I wasn't sure if the installed clock worked so I found another just in case.
NOS heater blower switch.
Paul cleaned the heater controls and installed the new blower switch. Looks pretty impressive considering it's nearly 45 years old.


This is as far as Paul could go without getting a bigger hammer! Before painting, Paul will now inspect everything for broken bits and repair as required.

Fix a couple of cracks in the plastic knee panel.
Paul says Goop is the "good" stuff.
Another small repair.

Ready for painting.
Paul drilled a small hole first to "stop" any further split growth.


Start by spraying everything with black plastic dye. Paul is very pleased with SEM products.


Using a small brush and silver paint, Paul adds the labels and accent stripes.

Prep the dash pad for dye.


The final results are nothing short of amazing! When you consider the only real investment, other than your time and a can or two of SEM dye, everyone should do this to their ride. Just like a face lift and a few enhancements!

Console

Now, it's the console's turn for a face lift. My console is not the correct one for Plymouth, it is actually normally only found on 1970 Chrysler Hurst and Chrysler 300 cars. For some reason, this console was installed by the factory. I never realized this until I tried to buy a replacement top for it. The holes you see in the wood grain part of the top cover are a result of a vacuum gauge that I installed and we've decided to reuse them for a tachometer.

The extra holes on the end are the result of a "plumbing" system I installed years ago to pipe hot air back to the rear seat for my dog!

Paul decided to strip the wood grain decal and "paint" his own wood grain. Looks better than the decal!

Need to be cleaned before painting
Driver's side.
Passenger's side.

Prep for the carpet inlay.

Carpet glued in place.


Paul noticed the black slider, which moves with the shift arm, was broken at the bottom end.
Made a new one!
I like the new one better than the original.


The final results are perfect!

Prior to digging into the dash, Paul tore the engine apart and sent the block and heads out for machining. The machining was being completed while Paul worked on the dash and console. Everything is back and parts are on the bench so its time to build the engine and mount it and the transmission back on the front clip.


Top