Rust Nearly Gone

Hood

New used hoodWith the fenders, quarter panels, rocker panels and trunk interior completed, Doug started on the hood, trunk and the doors. The used hood Doug found was mint and required only a little work to make it perfect.

Doors

The driver door was also in very good shape with only a little rust, but the passenger door was in bad shape - literally. When Captain Crunch Towing bounced the door off the power pole, the bodyshop didn't take out the dent, they just slapped on a door skin. As a result the door ended up banana shaped by almost half an inch.

New used hoodWe decided the cost to straighten this door straight would be far more than a replacement, so Doug went shopping again. A week or so later Doug found a good door and quickly restored it to his exacting standards.

Trunk

Sand blasting the trunk lid uncovered a lot of rust on the lower lip and some old damage I'd completely forgotten about. Way back in 1970 when the car was still brand new, the car was parked on the street and a silly driver decided I needed a little dent in my trunk lid. Fortunately the car was so new that the insurance told me to just take it to the dealer. I told the dealer I didn't want any bondo used, I wanted it fixed with lead. I always thought they listened, but the sand blaster told the real story.

New used hoodRepairing the trunk lid could prove to be a problem because multiple layers of metal are folded and spot welded to form the lip. Removing the rust and reforming the lip without warping the lid, wasn't going to be easy. Doug came to the rescue again with yet, another, mint used part.


Panel fit and alignment


Next Doug checked all the remaining spots on the body to make sure all the rust was finally eliminated. All the body parts were then sprayed with yet another primer coat and everything was trial fitted to check for alignment and such.

I was still chasing around the Internet looking for a rear valance and Doug didn't want to do any exterior body colour until all the parts were ready. His concern was one of matching the colour if the exterior wasn't painted all at once. However he could do the underside, the frame extensions, firewall and parts of the trunk.


Start painting color>

Now that body repairs were complete it was now time to start painting.

Next, top coat was applied to the firewall, trunk lips and rear areas which will be behind the rear bumper and quarter panel extensions.

Next, top coat was applied to the firewall, trunk lips and rear areas which will be behind the rear bumper and quarter panel extensions.

Now it sits for awhile waiting for a rear valance. Doug finishes the quarter panel extensions and gives them a trial fitting.

Progress stalled as more and more shop time was dedicated to a '68 300 restoration Terry wanted to enter in a car show. I didn't mind because there didn't seem to much point in getting the car back on the road before the following summer. The delay would give me time to sort out who should do the engine, transmission, powertrain , top and interior.

Mechanical Stuff

Selection of suppliers turned out to be very flustrating, most shops wouldn't make any kind of quote, they preferred to use an "open" work order approach, which I equated to being a "blank" check approach. I was somewhat surprised by the attitude of many of the shops I visited, they all seem to equate "restoration" with personal retirement. This plainly wasn't acceptable, so I sat back to re-evaluate my options. In the end, I discovered Doug is truly a man of many talents, he does mechanical work as well as superb bodywork. Terry had no problems with my hiring Doug to do all the mechanical stuff and to install the chrome. A deal was made and Doug took on the project.

While I continued my search for a rear valance and a dash pad, Doug started cleaning, repairing and painting all the bolt on items. The top mechanism needed a fair amount of work where rust had started to rot the frame where it rests on the top of the windshield frame.

Terry Moving - Again !

Terry ran into Landlord problems again in December and was forced to move his shop again. Fortunately the move was only to the next bay, but it caused all sorts of delays and reduced his work in progress storage space. The Beast was in the way so she had to go.

George O'Handley the owner of Good Guy Towing arrived January 21st with his flat deck truck and loaded the Fury for its trip back to my garage. Doug took the engine and transmission to his shop, but couldn't start any work on them until a current project was completed and moved out to make room for mine.

So..the Beast slept for the winter!


Top